The benefits of buying a bike in this manner are:
- cheap bikes - cheaper than flohmarkts
- proof of receipt - means you can sell off bike later more easily
- not supporting bicycle theft
- it's an exciting atmosphere and gives you a buzz when you're the highest bidder
If you contact us at BSB, we may be attending and be able to help you out.
The next Deutsche Bahn auction --> 24/04/13 at 15:00
Bike auction held every month in the train station in Berlin Zoologischer Garten at the Fundburo (Lost and Found office)
- approximately 30 bikes on offer
- no chance to examine or touch bike before bidding
- no bidding slip required
- much more expensive than other auctions
- must pay in cash only
- weird, grumpy crowd - not the nicest atmosphere
The next BVG auction --> 25/04/13 (viewing starts at 8am, auction from 10am)
- ~ 40 bikes on offer usually (also other items, sporting equipment, cameras, laptops, phones, etc.)
- requires you to pay a deposit of 5€ for the bidding slip in order to place a bid (bring your Anmeldung or other proof of your address, passport)
- a bit chaotic/ unorganised at times
- pay with EC card or cash only (no credit cards)
- from 8am (viewing of bikes) and then auction starts at 10am.
- recommend you bring a picnic with you - eg snacks and tea
BVG auction 24/01/13 website - click here
The details of all future BVG, Deutsche Bahn and Polizei auctions will be on the calendar in "Things to do" at the top of this page.