Some of you may not have been in Berlin long enough to hear about the bicycle auctions that happen on behalf of Deutsche Bahn, BVG and Polizei every one to two months. Those bikes that are not claimed by their owners after an allotted time are sold off to the highest bidder at these auctions.
The benefits of buying a bike in this manner are:
- cheap bikes - cheaper than flohmarkts
- proof of receipt - means you can sell off bike later more easily
- not supporting bicycle theft
- it's an exciting atmosphere and gives you a buzz when you're the highest bidder
If you contact us at BSB, we may be attending and be able to help you out.
The next Deutsche Bahn auction --> 24/04/13 at 15:00
Bike auction held every month in the train station in Berlin Zoologischer Garten at the Fundburo (Lost and Found office)
- approximately 30 bikes on offer
- no chance to examine or touch bike before bidding
- no bidding slip required
- much more expensive than other auctions
- must pay in cash only
- weird, grumpy crowd - not the nicest atmosphere
The next BVG auction --> 25/04/13 (viewing starts at 8am, auction from 10am)
- ~ 40 bikes on offer usually (also other items, sporting equipment, cameras, laptops, phones, etc.)
- requires you to pay a deposit of 5€ for the bidding slip in order to place a bid (bring your Anmeldung or other proof of your address, passport)
- a bit chaotic/ unorganised at times
- pay with EC card or cash only (no credit cards)
- from 8am (viewing of bikes) and then auction starts at 10am.
- recommend you bring a picnic with you - eg snacks and tea
BVG auction 24/01/13 website - click here
The details of all future BVG, Deutsche Bahn and Polizei auctions will be on the calendar in "Things to do" at the top of this page.